Monday, April 28, 2008

Cruising For A Cure!

This weekend was the Relay for Life Cancer Walk. Because my mom's family has had a history with battling cancer, we have had a team for the last few years. Her mom died of lymphoma, a brother died of pancreatic cancer, and another brother is battling prostate cancer right now. It is always such a neat experience to participate in. The walk goes for about 18 hours and someone from your team has to be on the track the whole time. The relay starts with a survivor walk where anyone surviving cancer makes the first lap. At one point when it has gotten dark they turn off all of the lights. They have luminaries lit with pictures on the bags of loved ones lost to cancer. With the lights off all you can see are the luminaries arranged in the word HOPE. It is very emotional. Everyone has tents and little camp spots set up around the track for one purpose; to raise money for cancer research. My kids absolutely love going to the "walking party". They look forward to it all year long and love the matching shirts that we get. I am grateful for my family and the time that we get to spend together doing such a wonderful thing. I pray they can find a cure for cancer before any other family member becomes a victim.
This is my uncle who is going through treatments for prostate cancer walking in the survivors walk.
Jared and my brother were in charge of cooking dinner for everyone. They did an awesome job it was delic! We're getting ready for our time on the track. The kids didn't last the whole thirty minutes in the stroller.

8 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

Oh you're always planning or participating in one adventure after another! I seriously doubt this third child will slow you down one bit! Sorry to hear of all the cancer victims in your family, but its great to see your family so committed to raising money and helping find a cure!

I got to work late on Saturday and didn't bring the dresses, but I will try to bring them tomorrow for ya!

Kourtney said...

Looks like fun! I can't believe you walked pushing 3 kids! Thats impressive! Great job!

Tonya and Keith Pate said...

What a great way to help and spend time with family. CA is such poisen sorry to here it has hit your family hard. Looking good girl.

shaunelle said...

very cute pictures. we had a really good time also. I look forward to going every year like your kids.

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

That is so great that you guys do the CA walk every year! Good luck to your Uncle. CA is the worst. I hope the scrapbooking party was fun and you got all the pages done that you wanted to do!

jaesi said...

awesome. I love that stroller. My friend has the same one and I wish I had gotten it...its so easy to run with!

Unknown said...

Good for you. I need to be better about doing stuff like that cause it would be fun for the kids and something to do! Especially impressive when you are pregnant!
cute pictures too!

brandonandstephaniegoble.blogspot.com said...

Cute-cute-pictures! I did the relay for life walk a couple years in high school. It's such a good thing and to see all the people who are fighting cancer is pretty sad. Your fam is so cute and you look great. Take care!