Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ear Infections, Burns, and Stitches!

I know this sounds like it should be the title of a chapter out of a medical book or something, but sadly it was just the title of my day. It was a day from #@%*$!!! It all started out when we were hurring to get out the door to an early appointment for Traxton at the audiologist. He needed to get new ear molds made for his hearing aids, because he has outgrown the ones he wears now. As I was just finishing getting ready, Traxton crawled into the bathroom (yes, he is crawling now) and pulled the still hot curling iron off the counter onto him. It hit him on the head and landed next to him. Before I could grab him he put his arm onto it. I ran it under cold water for a few minutes, but it didn't look too bad so we left. Once we got to the audiologist's office I had him look inside Traxton's ears. He has had a really runny nose and been cranky, so I wanted to make sure they looked okay. Well, they didn't. Because they looked all red and infected, the audiologist didn't want to stick more stuff inside to make the molds. So, we left without ear molds but with an appointment to go see the pediatrician. By this time, Traxton's arm looks awful. The skin is peeled off and red everywhere. The pediatrican confirmed what we thought about him having an ear infection and gave us a cream for his arm and orders to bandage it up.

We had literely been home from the pharmacy no more than five minutes when Ashten and Treyson started running around. I'm sure it had nothing to due with the sugar they had inhaled from all the Dr's office candy. I'm not sure what happened, but the next thing I know Ashten is screaming and holding her head. Once I moved her hand away, I saw a big gapping hole above her eyebrow. It took every ounce of self control I had to not scream. I took my boys over to a neighbor's and headed to the hospital once again. Ten stitches later, we walked out. They had to put three stitches inside the wound and seven on top. She did really well and didn't fight the doctor or tech at all. As I drove home, I wanted to say "what now?", but I am at least smart enough to never say that. Things can always get worse. The bright thing about it all is that I'm hoping tomorrow will be an easier day.

15 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

AHHHHHH--what a horrible day!!!! Hopefully it hasn't gotten any worse since you posted!!!

Even with burns, infections and bruises, your kids look adorable! I especially love Ashten's sad little face while she's getting stiched!

Kourtney said...

Yes that is a day from #@%$! You seem to have handled it like a champ though, so way to go!

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

Your kids are so adorable bandages and all. That is a pretty sucky day and the fact that you had to work today as well really sucks. I loved your Brotherly Love post. That picture is priceless.

katie said...

Hey Mandy, I found you through Ammon and Lisa's blog. I think your kids are so cute! Amy and Cam's little boy got stiches last week.....it must be in the air! Your welcome to check out my blog if you'd like! Cute family!!

Stacy and Mike said...

Wow Mandy, what a day! Hope today is much better for you :)

Houston Family said...

Days like that are the BEST! Your family is darling. You look great. I haven't seen you in forever! Hope everything is going well. Check us out if you have a minute to spare.

Anonymous said...

That is one of those days that you see in your nightmares as a mom! I am soooo sorry. But you're right about one thing, tomorrow can surely be better than that...as long as you lock them all up!

Melissa (Wallick) Larson said...

Wow! I hope I never have a day like that. I am so sorry I wasn't home to help. Collette told me how you had ran over to get some help. Just take a deep breath and a big swig of some pepsi and go read a book now. That is what always calms me down.
By the way, of course the pool is open to all those I like, which is of course the Taylor family.

Stevenson Stories said...

What a great day.. it's funny how stuff like that comes all at once. Your post about your boys made my day. Kids are the best!

shaunelle said...

Wow that is a good close up picture. It is funny how it all happens on the same day. I wonder why that is. Good luck with everything.

Heather B said...

WOW. CrAzy day- that's quite a hole in her head!

Trevor and Katie said...

Poor girl I'm glad it didn't bleed to much. I hope she is feeling better now.

Lyndy Staheli said...

Wow I'm glad it was you and not me. I'm sorry though, it sounds like it was a crazy day. I would have been freaking out.

brandonandstephaniegoble.blogspot.com said...

Oh my Oh my those are the days that you definately don't want to repeat. I hope they are all doing and feeling better-i have to admit i haven't had one that eventful yet! Take care

The Bundy Family said...

You poor thing! I am so proud of you. Whenever cuts happen to my kids I am always praying inside that they don't need stitches. And what a brave little girl. I hope that those 3 things can account for many days of nothing but happy moments. You are a good mom!