Sunday, May 17, 2009

PIP Camp!


This weekend we traveled to Salt Lake for the Utah PIP (Parent, Infant Program)camp. It is put on by the Utah School for the Deaf and Blind. What an amazing experience this was. Just seeing how many families there are who are either in the same situation as us or worse was so overwhelming. Treyson even commented on how many kids there were with hearing aids on. It was such an eye opening experience to see so many kids with either hearing aids or cochlear implants on. There were even a lot of kids with other more serious medical problems as well. The camp was themed around a cruise so all their classes had something to do with that. On Saturday they had classes for the kids to go to while the parents had guest speakers. Both Ashten and Treyson loved their classes and the leaders were so good with them. They were actually only a few of the hearing kids in their class. When we met back up with the kids at lunch, Ashten said that she wished that she had hearing aids. I got all emotional when she said this, just because I love how innocent and non-judgmental kids are. We also saw a little boy who had multiple medical problems and had to walk with a walker. Ashten asked why he had to have that, so I said to help him walk. Ever since then, she has said that she wants a walker to help her walk as well. Instead of seeing all these kids as different with their hearing devices, oxygen tanks, and walkers, they saw something that seemed cool.
Our guest speakers were so good. Justin Osmond, who was born deaf, talked about his life and how he has overcome so many challenges. I sat in my seat and cried the whole time. At lunch we sat with a small group of other parents and talked about our stories. It was so neat to hear how other parents have struggled with some of the same things as we have. Knowing that we had our experiences in common brought a feeling of closeness and unity. It was really nice to see and talk to people who have been through exactly what we have and who really know the feelings you feel as a mother towards your child who can't hear. The fears about the future and the unknown.
The whole camp had such a spirit about it that made me want to cry. Everyone was there with the same goal in mind; to help their loved one. I am so glad that we decided to go and my kids are already asking when we can go again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mandy, that sounds like a great experience for your whole family. I had a couple friends in high school who were deaf, and I'm here to tell you, they could conquer the world if they wanted to. My hat goes off to you and your family for staying in touch and reaching out to others in the same situation. Your baby is lucky to be in such a great family. WOW! I am truly touched by your story.

Brittney said...

That is an awesome camp that is put on. I love the innocence little kids have. It sounds like your whole family had an amazing experience.

Heather B said...

That is so cool, I'm so glad the whole family got to go. It really would be so helpful and uplifting.

Libby said...

Wow. I am so glad you guys got to go to this. It sounds amazing!

You guys are such great parents. Traxton is so lucky to have you two! And Ashten...what a sweetheart! I know that what ever happens with Traxton's ears, you guys are going to be such a huge support to him...you already are and he is still so young! The fact that you guys are already so involved and going to things like this is so great. I keep thinking about the Amazing Race and what Luke said about parents not learning sign language and communicating with their child. It is unreal! Traxton will always be sure that he is loved and supported in your family! I loved watching you in the pool with him the other day. How you kept tapping him and signing to him! It was so cute and sweet. You are such an amazing mom!

Chelsea Johnson said...

It sounds like it was such a great experience! I'm glad the kids had so much fun. Your kids will have such a compassion and understanding for disabilities since they are growing up with it in their family. I know how much it has changed my perspective by having my brother. You are such great parents and are doing so much for Traxton and he will appreciate you guys so much!

Trevor and Katie said...

That's awesome that they have programs like this to help families and bring people together who are going through the same things that you are.

Dustin, Heather and Gavin said...

Hello
This is Heather. Thanks for leaving a comment. I met so many people at PIP camp. But I hope you had fun and learned lots. How old is your son? We should get together for playground. Which family link us? I would like to add their blog and your blog to my if that is ok. Gavin has LVA or EVA as well. He was born with Mild to Moderate hearing loss. He fail the newborn screenings. Before age one year Gavin was hearing severe to profound hearing loss. We got his first implant in August 1st. I'm excited to get to know you more. Please keep in touch.
-Heather

Miss Kat's Parents said...

It is so nice to see so many kids with a hearing loss! I remember my first PIP camp too.

I love finding more Utah families!

Gavinhearsawho said...

Hello Again,
Gavin has one implant and one hearing aid. Gavin at PIP camp ran into the corner of the table and needed stiches. We got him in the hearing booth today and found that his hearing has dropped. He went from 85db to 105db. We will be hopefully be getting the bilateal implant soon. We should have a playgroup soon. I think it's good that kids with hearing loss see other kids with hearing loss. So they know they aren't alone. Let me know if that sounds good.-Heather

Lyndy Staheli said...

I had no idea that they had a program like that to help out the families I think thats great! I'm sure it was so nice to meet other families who are going through this too.

Kourtney said...

I knew it would be great! I'm glad Ashten and Treyson like their classes and the fact that they were so accepting of other kids with disabilities is a great tribute to you and what an awesome Mom you are!!!

Jamie W said...

What a wonderful experience. You are doing a great job with him. He is so cute!