Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Easter Campout!


It has been a family tradition since I was a little girl to go camping on or around Easter weekend. Because of different family members schedules, we went a couple of weeks early this year. My sister and her family were also not able to be there because of a funeral. Besides missing having them there, we all had a really good time. We spent the night at my grandpa's cabin on the Arizona Strip and on Saturday we went on like a five hour 4-wheeler ride. It was a little cold so everyone had to bundle up, but once the day went on it turned out to be great weather. Because the size of our family is bigger than what would comfortably fit on our 4-wheeler, the kids rotated around riding with grandma and grandpa and uncle Trumbull and aunt Dally. Thankfully they were okay with having extra bodies ride with them.


We stopped at this old cabin that was built in the 1940's for some of the sheep herders. Inside the cabin many of the original items were still there. We found newspaper articles and magazines from the 1950's. Along the concrete walls people had carved their names and dates of when they had visited the old cabin. It was really neat to see so many names carved into the walls.

We had lunch at the base of a bunch of boulders. Everyone loved climbing around the rocks. I couldn't believe how well my kids did with climbing. It actually made me a little nervous to have them so unafraid of the heights. Some Indian writings on the rocks.
Grandma and Treyson on top of a big rock.


We spent most of the day riding on the 4-wheelers and the kids were such troopers. Even Traxton did great and took two naps on my shoulder. I am so grateful to have such fun family traditions that started when I was young and have continued on so that my kids can enjoy some of the same things I enjoyed as a kid. I am also so lucky to have Jared who enjoys these type of things and is willing to go along with some of these crazy adventures that my family comes up with

7 comments:

The Bundys said...

What a fun tradition you guys have! I love the idea of a camping trip around easter. We may have to copy you. And like Ashten is so tan even after winter!! Lucky girl.

The Bundy Family said...

I too love family traditions. I seem to really appreciate them a lot more now that I have my own family. Camping is so much fun and the kids really enjoy it. That was one of our family traditions too, growing up. But man is it a lot of work! Worth it though right?!

shaunelle said...

Looks like you guys really did have a great time. I was sad to miss it.

Abby Sue said...

I love Easter trips to the ranch, It looks like you guys had a great time that is fun your kids are big enough to climb around.

Trevor and Katie said...

It looks like everyone had a great time climbing around all the rocks. Easter campouts are always so fun.

Staci said...

Your kids are going to have so many fun memories. You are such fun parents to take them on these adventures! So Dustin informed me that the chickens MUST be gone by Friday or he will take care of them... I'm just glad I got him to go for it for this long. :) Would you mind emailing me your number so that we can work it out? dustinandstaci@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Tonya and Keith Pate said...

Mandy you are the only one that ever comments on my blog! lol Anyways love the camping tradition glad to see you all had such a great Easter weekend.